Hometown: Brookville, PA

PSU Connection: Graduate

PSU Graduation Year: 2014 (B.S.), 2015 (M.S.)

Degree Type: Bachelors and Masters

Major of Study: Engineering Science and Mechanics

Memorable moment in your Penn State career: Right before graduating from my undergraduate degree, the Air Force delayed my entrance into Active Duty by one full year due to budget constraints. Most of my fellow soon-to-be Lieutenants in the same position as me were forced to pick-up part-time jobs during the wait, but I was fortunate to be a student in the Engineering Science and Mechanics Department & an undergrad researcher at the Applied Research Lab. My supervisor at the Lab offered me the chance to continue my research & and the ESM department offered me enrollment into their Master’s degree program. My year of waiting turned into another year of learning and growing at Penn State–something that never would have been possible without the compassionate actions of the ESM Department (especially Dr. Judith Todd), and ARL (especially Dr. Richard Martukanitz). Penn State isn’t just a school–it’s a family, and family is for life!

Active Duty or Veteran: Active Duty

Branch: Air Force

Rank: Captain

Rate/MOS: Pilot/Development Engineer

Where/when did you serve: Eglin, AFB, FL, Vance AFB, OK, Ft. Rucker, AL, Andrews AFB, MD; 2014 – Present

Awards: Air Force Commendation Medal, Air Force Achievement Medal, Air Education & Training Command Military Leadership Award, SUPT-H Class 20-02, Company Grade Officer (CGO) of the Quarter, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Test Engineer of the Quarter, 40th Flight Test Squadron, 40th Flight Test Squadron “Devil of the Month,” 2016 Top Company Grade Officers’ Council of the Air Force, Junior Military Scientist/Engineer of the Year, AFRL Munitions Directorate, CGO of the Quarter, AFRL Munitions Directorate, Superior Performer, AFRL Munitions Directorate IG Inspection

What was your favorite military assignment/duty station and why? I’ve truly enjoyed all of my assignments in the Air Force, the opportunities to travel, learn, and grow have been incredible. The best part of every assignment has been the people–our country’s most loyal and dedicated individuals work in the military. My favorite assignment is my current one: flying UH-1N “Huey” helicopters at Andrews AFB, MD! I love flying helicopters because we fly under “Visual Flight Rules” (VFR), which means we have much more freedom than most Air Force Pilots while flying. Combining this freedom of flight with some of the most historic scenery around our Nation’s Capital makes for a very enjoyable day at the office. The best part of my job, however, is the most rewarding one: leading Airmen. As a Flight Commander I’m in charge of 9 Enlisted & 3 Civilian Air Force employees. It’s my job to not only ensure they’re properly equipped and trained to do their jobs, but also that they have an adequate work/life balance and sense of purpose within our organization. At the end of the day, my job is to take care of people, and nothing is more rewarding than that.

Josh Park, Air Force, is enjoying his time in service.  Josh loves his Penn State family and is grateful for the opportunities he had while attending school.  He is both a 2014 and 2015 graduate with a Bachelors and Masters in Engineering Science and Mechanics.  Josh is a pilot for the Air Force and is currently flying UH-1N “Huey” helicopters at Andrews AFB, MD.  Josh also appreciates Penn State’s commitment to Veterans.

Submit A Profile

Submit a profile of your favorite service-connected Penn Stater.

Other Profiles

View profiles of other service-connected Penn Staters.