Hometown: Philadelphia, PA

PSU Connection: Current Student

PSU Graduation Year: 2023

Degree Type: Bachelors

Major of Study: Organizational Leadership

Memorable moment in your Penn State career: I’ll never forget I was sitting as Treasurer of The Black Student Union 2016 while at the Abington Campus. The Chancellor requested our Club’s presence to give honor to Julian Abele. We were given a history moment of how that man was the hidden Principle Designer and Architect of not just the Southerland Building on our Campus, but The Art Museum in downtown Philadelphia, Duke University, and many many other glorious buildings in the Country! It left all of our mouths open as we had no idea of this Black History moment right on our campus. Everyday walking through the magnificent edifice instilled so much pride in us that day. We were so honored to reveal the Bronze near the Bursar Office giving him honor after 100 years in the shadows. I thank Penn State forever for that critical historical moment.

Active Duty or Veteran: Veteran

Branch: Air Force

Rank: Senior Airman

Rate/MOS: Medical Logistics Technician

Where/when did you serve: Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada 01-2008 – 05-2011; McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey 05-2011 – 05-2016

Awards: Airman of the Quarter 2010 – Squadron Level

What was your favorite military assignment/duty station and why? Nellis Air Force Base was my favorite assignment because it was my first base and I served with the best Flight ever Thee 99th! We had the best camaraderie we worked together very well and achieved remarkable standards in our section, I loved being a ‘Loggie’! I had the privilege to serve in The Nellis Base Honor Guard. In the Air Force its considered a selected but volunteer assignment where you are removed from your duty section for 4-5 months strictly being a Ceremonial Guardsman. We were given only about 2 weeks to be literally perfectly stoic and learn the ceremony of performing Color Guard for Retirements and requested official events and of course funerary honors. I felt real time honor giving official funerary rights to ascended retirees/Prior service and those fallen on the call of active duty on behalf of The Commander in Chief thanking the family for their loved ones sacrifice. I never knew what service was until I was given the privilege to serve with honor.

Ashley S. Cole, Air Force, is attending PSU Abington majoring in organizational leadership. She was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA. Ashley was accepted into Penn State out of high school, but experienced a difficult time of attending from her family. So she decided to join the Air Force to serve and to get foundations in life. Her decision to join the service caused a severance with her family. Even with the strain on family, Ashley knows and states “it was the right decision to join to this very day. It was the best decision of my life and I have no regrets.” Ashley is scheduled to graduate in May 2023 majoring in organizational leadership.

Submit A Profile

Submit a profile of your favorite service-connected Penn Stater.

Other Profiles

View profiles of other service-connected Penn Staters.