Hometown: New Fairfield, CT

PSU Connection: Staff

School: University Park

Department: Institute for Computational and Data Sciences

Position: ICDS Project Coordinator

Memorable moment in your Penn State career: My time with Penn State hasn’t been as long as many since we moved here from North Carolina in 2018, but I would have to say my hiring date with the Institute for Computational and Data Sciences (ICDS) in May of 2019. While I’ve accomplished a lot since starting with ICDS, I count my blessing that I was brought on board to Penn State through this fantastic organization lead by Jenni Evans, Director of ICDS, and Wayne Figurelle, Assistant Director of ICDS. It was a tough transition from active duty military to civilian life, and even more so moving to an area dominated by the academic environment of Penn State, which is a completely different beast in and of itself. Jenni, Wayne, and the rest of the ICDS staff welcomed my family and I into the organization and they became “my people,” similar to the camaraderie we experience within a military organization. For that I am extremely grateful.

Active Duty or Veteran: Retired

Branch: Air Force

Rank: Master Sergeant

Rate/MOS: Aviation Resource Management

Where/when did you serve: Lackland AFB, TX, Keesler AFB, MI, Dover AFB, DE, RAF Lakenheath, UK, Seymour Johnson AFB, NC,

Awards: Air Force Achievement Medal w/ Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster, Air Force Commendation Medal w/ two Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters, Headquarters Air Combat Command “Sergeant Dee Campbell Outstanding Team Award,” Seymour Johnson AFB Operations Resource Manager of the Year, 334th Fighter Squadron Supervisor of the Year, 335th Fighter Squadron Supervisor of the Year, Inspector General Strike Operations ACC/IG Superior Performer Team Award, Air Force Reserve Command “Sergeant Dee Campbell Outstanding Team Award,” Inspector General Operational Readiness Evaluation “Top Performer” Award, Intermediate Leadership – Noncommissioned Officer Academy Award Nominee, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe Aircrew Stan/Eval Inspection “Outstanding Performance” Award, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe “Aviation Resource Management Team Award,” 48th Operations Group Staff Professional Supervisor of the Year, 21st Air Force Aircrew Standardization & Evaluation Inspection Team “Top Performer” Award, Air Force Supervisory – SSgt Julio Alonzo Leadership Award Nominee

What was your favorite military assignment/duty station and why? My favorite assignment would have to be Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina. This assignment allowed the opportunity to grow not only as an Aviation Resource Manager with taking on new roles within the unique environment of working as the first Active Associate unit to a Reserve Wing, but also provided the opportunity to take on new responsibilities as a Squadron Superintendent, which include the responsible for the moral, order, and discipline of enlisted personnel assigned to the unit. I was also appointed as a base level Career Field Functional Manager, responsible for training, career progression, and manning of all Aviation Resource Managers assigned to the base (this included nine units across three Major Commands). In addition to the previously mentioned roles and responsibilities, I served on the base Inspector General Office Wing Inspection Team as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) evaluating base personnel wartime readiness during exercises as well as bi-annual compliance audits of flying units against U.S. Air Force instructions and and DoD regulations. I also served as a Higher Headquarters SME for the Air Mobility Command and Air Combat Command, which meant interpreting DoD regulations, U.S. Air Force instructions and aircraft guidance, and providing operational level input to the development and implementation of Air Force’s web-based Aviation Resource Management System.

Scott Walther, Air Force, MSgt. (ret), had a tremendous career in the Air Force. His favorite duty assignment was at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base were the best part of his 10 years there was the birth of his two daughters, Olivia and Eirynn. Scott feels blessed to be able to be there for each of their births and through the majority of their young developmental years. While his other accomplishments are all achievements of a great career, his greatest achievement is becoming a father, a daddy, to his two beautiful daughters.

Submit A Profile

Submit a profile of your favorite service-connected Penn Stater.

Other Profiles

View profiles of other service-connected Penn Staters.