Family: Josiah Kowles

Station/Living: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Branch: Army

Rank: Sergeant

PSU Connection: Student

If I were to capture the essence of our family in a painting, it would be that of a resilient palm tree. Just as a palm tree endures the fiercest storms, it adapts and grows more resilient with each challenge, bending but never breaking. Our journey began in the U.S. Navy and later transitioned to the U.S. Army. As a family, we faced countless challenges and extreme stress at times, but looking back only made us stronger and pulled us closer together.

Our fondest memory is of the three of us continually playing and singing the song “If the World Was Ending” all week. On that Friday morning at work, I received the call that my unit had 18 hours to be in Kabul, Afghanistan. Throughout my time there, this song played constantly in my mind and my wife’s back home. Even though we were apart, it gave us a sense of connection and has become one of our most special songs.

In honoring our service, I also wish to honor the memory of the 13 who gave their all in Kabul, Afghanistan on August 26, 2021.

Submit A Family Profile

Submit a profile of your favorite service-connected Penn State family.

Other Family Profiles

View profiles of other service-connected Penn State families.