Family: Benjamin and Kayla Probert

Station/Living: Pensacola, FL and Penn State

Branch: Navy

Rank: Ensign and Midshipman

PSU Connection: Graduate and Student

My name is Kayla Probert and this is my family’s story. My biggest inspiration to become a Naval Nurse Officer as a young child was first with my grandfather, William Probert, who served in the Navy as an electrician’s mate on the USS Thomas Jefferson during the Vietnam conflict. He told me stories of life in the Navy and dedication to duty. He had a great love for his country.

As I grew older, my brother was first to follow in my grandfather’s footsteps and he also became a huge factor in my efforts to serve my country. My brother, Benjamin Probert, graduated from Penn State Univeristy with a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering cum laude. He was commissioned as an officer into the US Navy following graduation and is currently preparing for flight school in Pensacola, Florida to become a Naval Aviator.

A memorable experience for my family was my brother’s commissioning ceremony. It was a proud moment for my family, especially for my Dad. He lost his father a few short years ago and at the end of the ceremony he gave my brother my grandfather’s dolphins.

I recently began my journey graduating from NSI in Great Lakes, Illinois after receiving a 4-year National Scholarship for Navy Nurse Option at Penn State Univeristy. My brother and I both chose Penn State as our top college choice because our parents, Eric and Stephanie Probert, are alumni and through their love of Penn State they inspired us to want to attend also. Although my parents are not service members, they instilled a love of country into us that led us to want to serve. Without their support and encouragement we would not be where we are today.

My Dad graduated from Penn state Univeristy with a bachelor’s degree in Forest Science to become a Forester. My Mom graduated with a degree in Nursing and has worked as an RN for over 20 years. She was the first in her family to attend college. Growing up, I watched her serve others and I want to do the same as well as serve my country.

I have a long family history of service to the military. My two great-great uncles, Gene and Karl Riggle, were both killed in action within the same week in the Korean War and are listed on the Korean War Memorial. One of them received a silver star. Additionally, Gene and Karl, had 3 other siblings who served during World War II. Their names were Ivan, Alton, and Dale Riggle. My great grandfather, Joseph Kisko, also fought in the Korean War as well. He is currently buried in Arlington Cemetery. My other great grandfather, Charles Poleto, served in the Coast Guard during World War II.

Being a military family means having resilience, a sense of patriotism, commitment, and dedication to each other and those you serve. These reasons and many more are why I have chosen to serve.

Submit A Family Profile

Submit a profile of your favorite service-connected Penn State family.

Other Family Profiles

View profiles of other service-connected Penn State families.